Friday, February 6, 2009

Random Blog and Rant on Business Today

It's not personal, it's only business ! My GOD, I HATE this phrase. The three dreaded words ... it's only business. Okay ... i am a business owner. Everything that happens negatively in the business, I personally am negatively affected. My family and whole way of life can be negatively affected. So how is this not personal ! Just another way for someone to legitimize screwing you a new one. We have somehow made it okay to take advantage of other people under the guise of "business". How did this happen ? Seems to me it is the lack of moral fiber that has sent this country straight into a recession. Greed. What happened to business ethics and morality? You do good things for people, and people want to do good thing for you. Do unto others ... the golden rule which has been seemingly lost in today's business environment. I was raised in large part by my grandparents, a product of the depression. I was taught not to waste, to work hard, and most importantly ... take care of your fellow man and woman. Too many people get dollar signs in their eyes and hold that in higher regard than any other. We can do it the RIGHT way. We don't have to take advantage and deceive to succeed. One of my favorite quotes: money isn't real. Meaning, the REAL things in your life that are most important have nothing to do with money. You can always make more money ... you can't go back to your daughter's second grade recital ! You take care of the REAL things in life and money takes care of itself. Find something you love doing, and do it better than anybody else, and work hard. My formula for success. I have always said, if someone would pay my bills, I would work for free. I take much satisfaction from HELPING my customers, seeing the smile on their face when they get their new sign. This is what makes the world go around, helping each other ... not using business to screw each other. Of course, money is a necessary evil. We all need it to survive. So until someone offers to pay all my bills, I will continue to charge for my services, of course ! But I do not need to nickle and dime my customers, and sometimes I don't charge what I should to help out a given situation. Sometimes I don't do the job at all, if I am not the best person to handle it for my customer. I call this customer service. I don't know what the hell they call it when i try to get help out there sometimes ! It is more like customer run around, or customer dis-service ! It would be nice to see greed give way to compassion. Materialistic wants to wanting to help others. Big business corporate ways to small town values. This is what we are missing. We need to help each other much more. If you agree with these sentiments, you would be very happy doing business with http://www.richmondsigns.com/ ! We look forward to hearing from you !

No comments:

Post a Comment