Monday, February 16, 2009

Random Blog and Rant on Business Today (Part 2)

Another rant on the economy as we know it today. What to do ? When you have a business that needs to STAY in business ... what do we do ? I have already adressed the value of vehicle advertising in my recent blog, Smart Marketing in a Sluggish Economy. So, of course, I subscribe to these principles and participate myself with both of my shop vehicles. But what to do when this isn't bringing in new customers ? When consumers just aren't spending, or even looking to spend. Of course there are all sorts of advertising and marketing techniques, but I consider many of them to be an uninvited intrusion. A way I prefer not to start off a conversation with a prospective client. Many will argue that the hit you in the face style marketing with due dilligence has its value and a proven track record. I just have issues with that. If I HAD to do something of this nature, I guess I would prefer to visit a business in person. So at least my intrusion comes with some genuine accountability for my actions. My intent being merely as an introduction and offering of services ... leave a business card. NO SELLING or sales tactics ! I sell by giving good information and honesty. I try only to give that information when expressly asked for ... we all hate a pushy salesman. So again .. what to do ? What can we do to keep our message out there (like vehicle advertising) that doesn't add to your monthly expenses, that doesn't intrude on potential customers. Well there is at least one thing you can do, one that I have been diligent with myself. Optimizing your website to be search engine friendly and relevant. What better way to start a dialogue than someone who is looking for you ! Someone who has already searched the great divide on the internet and decided to call you. If you've done a good job, they already like what they see and that is why they are calling you ! This is a great way to start a conversation and hopefully a long lasting relationship with the customer. As always, you have to follow through. ALWAYS do what you say you will, and in a timely fashion. Make sure your delivery is professional and consistent with what led them to you in the first place. Taking excellent care of your customers leads to one of the most important, FREE forms of advertising you can get ... REFERALS ! One good thing leads to another. So now we fall back to loyalty, morals, ethics and good ole honesty. Things none of us should forget. If we all practice some of these principles maybe we could avoid the next "bailout" from our greed !


Good luck to all the small business out there through these trying times. If there is any way I can help personally, visit me at Richmond Sign & Design Services, Inc. !!!




No comments:

Post a Comment